Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Reneg

So I realize that not 3 hours ago, I was railing on the press for their fixation on what is essentially a result of basic economics. But I might be having a change of heart...yes, already. I mean, with all the articles about gas prices, the material is just endless...

In response to the cost of oil, President Bush was just begging Congress for the authority to adjust fuel-efficiency standards for autos last week. Love to do it, he says, but he needs him some congressional authority. Shucks. His staff even sent Anne Applebaum at the Post the particular part of the U.S. Code (Title 49, Subtitle VI, Part C, Chapter 329 if you are keeping track), which shows that the administration needs congressional approval to require that cars get more than 27.5 miles per gallon.

What I don't understand is, if he thinks it is so important to raise standards, why let Congress or the law get in his way? Or were the other 750 laws he broke somehow different?