Sunday, April 09, 2006

If only for lack of a window...

What is it about really creative types that they always have to do something exasperatingly absurd before being brilliant. Are they just purging the bad creativity before getting to the good creativity? What I am talking about in this case Brooklyn's current art-freak-rock-folk flava boyz, the Animal Collective. Now really, standing ovation to you all, coz you make some tres killa tunes.

But what is with the names, guys? You know what I am talking about. Panda Bear? Avey Tare? Deakin? And (ominously, I presume) the Geologist? Is this really necessary? It makes it extremely difficult to talk about your music. I mean, who feels comfortable talking about "the frenetic precision of Panda Bear's percussion?" Or worse, "the rhythmic bobbing of the Geologist's head, as if he were after some apple of musical wisdom that would put the oh-so-finest point on Avey Tare's childlike yelps." You just can't write that shit and expect to have your audience finish the damn sentence.

Honestly, I really have nothing against nicknames or diminutives, pseudonyms, aliases, noms de plume, or even alter egos. I've had quite a few good ones myself. But c'mon. Panda Bear? No one is going to call you that on the street or at a party, y'know? Honestly, it just makes me want to defenestrate you 1.

1. That's right! Word of the Day. April 2. Dictionary.com, bitch!